March/April of 2008:
The Temple and its devotees have begun another project to help the village of Kadua in Dhenkanal, Orissa.. In addition to Narayana Seva, we are starting an Umbrella Project. As mentioned on the Narayana Seva page, the village has a population of 472 people and most of them depend on firewood for their lives.
In the upcoming months, summer will be upon them and it brings danger to those in remote areas. The temperature in Kadua goes up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius) and the sun shines harshly from 9AM until 6PM. As the villagers go to gather wood, barefoot, the only protection they have are towels that they can wet and place on their heads. The towels, though, dry up in minutes and expose the people to severe sunstroke. In fact, many people die every year from just sunstroke.
We have decided that the most effective way to help them combat the unyielding sun in the coming months is to give the people umbrellas. These will serve two purposes:
- Umbrellas will protect the villagers from the harsh sun and prevent sunstroke.
- Umbrellas can shield them from the rain in the monsoon season.
This way, the umbrellas can be used in both seasons and help save the lives of these hard-working people. Here are the details:
- What: Donating Umbrellas to protect villagers from the heat
- When: We hope to have the umbrellas delivered to them by mid-April
- Where: A poor village near the Ashram called Kadua
- Who: There are about 200 families in the village. Without our umbrellas, many will undoubtedly get sunstroke in the upcoming months
- How: We are planning to give the villagers about two hundred umbrellas, one for each family. The total cost will come to about Rs.30,000 or about $750.
Please do what you can to help these people. Your simple donation can save the life of someone in the upcoming months. Thank you.
We will be glad to give you any further information or details regarding our Umbrella Project. Please Contact Us.
This program is being coordinated and organized by Suprasanna Mishra. Please send your checks to the following address with checks payable to Dattatreya Sai Ashram.
Please Send your donations to:
4600 Meadowbrook Ln.
Mason, OH 45040 USA